While we recommend the campus mobile platform for most purposes, the campus mobile standard is not always the right tool for the job. The University does not provide a full-fledged service for publishing unit- or initiative-specific apps to the Apple and Play stores although IST does manage the app store signing keys on behalf of the official UC Berkeley presence on the Google Play and Apple iOS stores.
While we can assist you in publishing a mobile app, be forewarned -- undertaking publication of an official UC Berkeley application requires significant investment of time and resources beyond pushing out a mobile app that will be accepted by Google or Apple. It is the responsibility of the unit pushing out the app to understand their responsibilities under the law for all aspects of the application. Here is a quick checklist (which may not be complete):
- Consult IPIRA for University IP issues
- Consult with the Berkeley Disability Access & Compliance Office to ensure you understand your obligations for being in compliance with the ADA
- Set up a review with the Berkeley Web Access team to ensure your app offers positive user experience for those with disabilities.
- Check with the campus brand office to ensure you are using the University name, branding elements and marks properly.
- Understand the security and privacy aspects of your app, and ensure compliance with IS-3, the UC Security policy, including the Berkeley data classification standard
- Meet with your sponsors to understand any specific legal and risk requirements of the functional area of your app (such as HR rules, laws that apply to certain functional domains, etc.)
- If there are liabilities or areas of legal risk, consult campus counsel.
The point is, when you come to IT, we can help you publish the application no problem -- but just because we can enable that does not mean you have fulfilled the very serious requirements... Or - if you want to keep things simple - you can publish on the official campus platforms that take care of this for you: Open Berkeley and UC Berkeley Mobile.
If your unit or department wants to discuss publishing your own app under the official UC Berkeley Channel, or to learn more about our official mobile platform please send email with some background on your needs to: firstname.lastname@example.org